Knitting away...

A place for me to write about what ever I want!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The all important New Year's resolutions...

Since I've been on vacation, I've been reading a lot of blogs. Most of them knitting related. I've slept a lot, ate a lot, and have spent lots of time with my boyfriend. I HAVE NOT been studying or thinking about school. (Even though I've brought books home. I'll be regretting that decision when my poor back breaks from carrying them thru the airport on the way back to Michigan. This time of year, the blogs all have one thing in common, New Year's Resolutions. So here are mine:)

My personal resolutions are:
* Exercise more- I've become a bonified couch potato since mmoving to MI. Partly I can blame the cold weather. But I need to start walking to protect my bones. I had a scare during the break. For the past two and a half weeks, I've had the worst pain in both hips. The pain then migrated to my knees. I think because I walked bowlegged to avoid pain in my hips. It was awful. Couldn't sit comfortably, lie on my side, or walk without looking like I had an accident in my pants. And stupid me, I thought the pain would go away by itself. By the time I decided that I needed more help that popping NSAIDs or ice/heat, of course my orthopedist HAD to be on vacation until 1/3. So I suffered for another week until yesterday. Of course going thru nursing school, I thought I had everything from arthritis to a bone infection but it turned out to be trochanteric bursitis a cortisone shot in each hip cured the pain. Thank goodness for cortisone... otherwise I'd still be walking like a cowboy. Long story short, exercise will help by stretching out the muscles and tendons (In me, the iliotibial band). I've been avoid any activity because it hurts my joints, which is due to "unfortunate anatomy" to quote my orthopedist. I can't do repetitive weight training. But I can do isometrics. I can't run but I can walk and use an elliptical machine. AND I definitely can't be swimming because of the potential to damage my shoulder. Gosh... what can I do? If anyone has any ideas other than walking or the elliptical, please let me know.
*Eat better- I know, I know... everyone has this on there list. But damn it, I mean it this time. I want to make sure that I don't get a chronic disease like diabetes or arterosclerosis... Doing clinicals on a med/surg floor gives me the impression that both of these diseases are a death sentance. Of course, I know it's not true, but if I don't have self control now, how am I going to resist a chocolate cake or chili cheese fries when I get one of those diseases?
*Study more- It doesn't seem possible but I need to use pockets of free time more efficiently. If given the choice between going over notes and staring at a wall, 9 times out of 10, I'd pick staring at the wall. Time management baby...
*Be nicer to people- The boyfriend says that I have an abrasive way of saying things. I just think of it as telling the truth. But, to spare feelings, I guess I can try sugar coating some of the things I say.

Knitting goals:
*Knit more sweaters- I hate knitting anything that has to be finished. I hate everything about finishing. Adding buttons, seaming, even weaving in ends is a chore. I really just like knitting. Hence, the mountain of UFOs. This has got to stop. For the past year, I've been knitting projects that had minimal finishing like lacy shawls, scarves, and hats. I did make the Tivoli T and the Honeymoon Cami, both with so little finishing that even I could finish. Who am I kidding, they came off the needles ready to wear. I don't even know if I wove the ends in since they were on the wrong side.
*Knit at least a half hour a day- But after I work out... That comes first. Both are great stress relievers.
Project goals:
*Fairly Easy Fair Isle and the Lucky Clover Wrap- both from Stitch and Bitch Nation. I love, love, love the Rowan 4 ply cotton. I even put a bid on eBay for 10 skeins of the stuff in Tear. I hope I win it! As for the Fair Isle, we'll have to see what I have in my stash. I don't really have much in the way of bulky yarn but there is always a birthday gift that can be asked.
*A ballet wrap sweater- Still have to find a pattern.
*A lacy shawl for me that doesn't turn out to be a scarf. I knitted the Flower Basket shawl... the small shoulder shawl and it's not large enough to be called a shawl. Why didn't I make it bigger, you ask? Because I bought 2 balls of Misti Alpaca Lace Weight yarn at a store in St. Paul, MN. And when I realized that it needed to be bigger, I ran out of yarn. I ususally don't run out of yarn when I make something. I ususally have one or two balls left over.
*Do something with those leftover balls of yarn. It sucks having the majority of your stash be random balls of yarn. I would post them on ebay to try to get rid of them, but as you can see, free time is not something I have much of.

I guess that's it. Really, it's not that much...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home