Knitting away...

A place for me to write about what ever I want!

Monday, October 17, 2005

The weekend was great!!!

Although it might have been better for me to study, I took the weekend off! My boyfriend came to town to visit and I swore off studying until after he left. He left tonight and unfortunately, it's my must see tv night. Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy kept me away from the books until about 11. So basically, I'm just doing some mindless reading of HIPPA and Infection Control in preparation for my clinicals. Which start on Tuesday. I'm both excited and scared all at the same time.

Anyway, my SO flew in on Thursday night, right after pharm. So I picked he up and we had dinner. Originally when we planned for him to visit, I had Friday off. But of course, being nursing students, we have to be flexible and Friday turned into a "Skills Blitz". We had to demonstrate how to give injections, hook up an IV to a fake arm, transfer a patient, and give a bed bath. Now all these were done on a classmate but it is still nerve wracking considering we were only able to watch a video and were expected to perform. We spend more time on ethics than we do practicing injections right now! The instructors tell me that we're supposed to get more practice during our clinical sessions. So, our schedule that we got earlier in the week said that we would be in this Skills Blitz from 9 to 12. Experience should tell me otherwise. And of course we got out of there closer to 3:30. My poor boyfriend ended up washing my car and running my poor friend and I over to Jimmy John's for a sandwich. But after the Blitz, we went out with some friends of mine to Harper's which is a bar.

The next day, we went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, AKA the UP. That was pretty fun. We saw the leaves changing color, which he misses being a Minnesota transplant to California. We were supposed to take the ferry over to Mackinac Island but being the big planners we are, neither one of us dressed for the weather. So we stayed on the mainland and just kinda drove around Mackinac City and a bit into the UP. In Lansing, it's much milder than up in the UP. They must have some pretty brutal winters if it's already so cold up there that I could bearly breathe.

Here are some pictures of the little road trip.


A pic of me and Matt in a "thicket". He's big on leaf colors but at this point in the trip, we didn't see the colors that he was hoping for.

A picture of Mackinac Bridge which takes you from Mackinac City to the "UP"

We paid $0.50 for the privilege to climb up a hill to look out at Lake Huron(I think this is what it's called?) What's up with all these lakes anyways??? And then at the bottom of the cliff, there was a huge Paul Bunyon and his Ox.

I tried to post a picture of a ferry making it's way back from Mackinac Island. But Blogger isn't cooperating. Those ferries take passengers back and forth between the island in 16 minutes! Also, Mackinac City seems to have more than it's fair share of fudge shops. Matt wanted to sample fudge in each of the shops. I had to restrain him. I'm sure if I wasn't around, he'd have eaten 5 lbs of the stuff. I have to admit it was good but so sweet that my teeth ached after eating it.

Not much was knitted. I am trying to finish the Aihblinn. I have about 16 inches of the scarf done. The pattern says to knit the broken rib for about 24 inches. But I think that might be over doing it. I'll stop at 20". But then I'll have a skein and a half left over. Maybe I'll make a matching hat to go with the Aihblinn. Matt and I went to Threadbear to get some yarn to make some felted bags for his nieces. I'm going to make them both the Madeline purse which are tiny little purses perfect for holding your ID, a key, and a lipstick when you're 21 or little treasures when your 5 and 6 like his nieces are. I'll post pics of those. You'll probably see them soon since they look like extremely quick knits. I also started a Kittyville hat from SnB. Threadbear had some Mission Falls 1824 wool in a lovely red color that I couldn't resist the other week. That was also cast on. I think the only WIP that made it out was a stockinette hat. Oh well, as Rob from Threadbear says, "I change projects like I change underwear."

1 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

what nice pictures! i'm scared if my hubby tries to carry me - just in case he drops me and i break my leg =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home